Hair How To: Milkmaid Braids
Dec 13, 2013 09:02 PM EST
Carrie Underwood's milkmaid braids in the live NBC version of "The Sound of Music" has everyone talking! The sweet, yet sophisticated style has been wore by the likes of Demi Lovato and Rihanna as well, but the blonde songbird made it look even more attractive.
Over the summer, the milkmaid style had become hugely popular, with many ladies rocking the updo. Speaking to folk heritage, the simple and adorable braids have graced the runways of designers like Oscar de la Renta. Those women with long hair or extensions can easily create the 'do, which involves either locking down all your tresses in a neat braid or leaving just a few strands out.
We imagine that many gals are lining up to copy Carrie's crown braids. Rey Rose, stylist at Louis Licari Salon in New York City, knows just how to get the look.
Rey broke down each step to Hollywood Life.
1. Part hair down the center, and apply a styling cream to each side to control flyaways.
2. Curl the locks with a 1 & 1/2 inch barrel iron away from the face.
3. Braid each half of your hair, pulling down as you go for tight sleekness. And don't forget to use ties at the ends.
4. Wrap the first braid forward and across the top of the head. Then, secure with bobby pins.
5. Repeat with the second braid, criss-crossing the other braid. Also remember to tighten with bobby pins.
6. Finish the style by spritzing on a product that promotes shine. Then, use a hair spray and press down any flyaways.
And for added dramatic effect and a softer, larger pattern, pull away each loop of braid, added Rey.
Would you try milkmaid braids, or have rocked them in the past? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below!