Beauty's Secret Ingredient: Manuka Honey Skin Care And Health Benefits
Of the many variants of honey, New Zealand-sourced Manuka Honey is one of the most talked about recently, and for a good reason!
Originating from honeybees that gather pollen from the indigenous Manuka bush, Manuka Honey has the highest level of antioxidants of any honey. So it's no wonder Lady Gaga, Scarlett Johansson, Gwyneth Paltrow and supermodels Bar Rafaeli and Petra Nemcova are all fans of this liquid gold.
With new skincare brands such as Manuka Doctor, a cult skincare range from the UK, utilizing this sweet ingredient for its properties, check out all the benefits:
When used in beauty products and applied topically, Manuka Honey has anti-inflammatory, rejuvenating, and healing properties.
- For Aging Skin - Manuka Honey helps reduce free-radical damage and signs of aging by nurturing natural collagen production. It is also ultra-hydrating, and when used daily, can boost skin's moisture.
- For Acne - Manuka Honey's anti-inflammatory properties help with reducing redness and swelling caused by acne lesions, while anti-bacterial properties help to reduce the bacteria that causes an uneven complexion.
- For Skin Irritations - Treats rosacea, eczema, insect bites, burns, sunburns and surgery wounds! Manuka Honey is a natural antiseptic and lubricant which helps prevent infections, reducing scarring and healing time.
When ingested, experts say Manuka Honey can have anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, immune-stimulatory, and antioxidant properties.
- For Digestion - If you're feeling bloated and uncomfortable, Manuka Honey can aid with acid reflux, indigestion, and stomach ulcers.
- For Immunity - Feeling a cold or sore throat coming on? Manuka Honey is recommended to treatment strep throat and cold sores.
For Low Energy - Manuka Honey can help provide a short-term energy boost as it is it made up purely of carbohydrates, such as fructose and glucose.